Commercial services and support for EOSC has a twofold aim: to enable access to commercial cloud services for the researchers as well as to involve industry and SMEs in the EOSC landscape which improves the exploitation of scientific research products.
Relying on procurement frameworks, the EOSC Future project delivers commercial cloud services for storage, compute and other services to researchers under favourable terms and conditions and in a technically compliant way. The project provides adoption funding to demonstrate the relevance of EOSC Marketplace in the distribution chain and to further stimulate take-up of these services. Through the involvement of EOSC users, the project is continuously improving this process and exploring the possibility of including a wider range of services such as, in the longer term, research community services.
Through the EOSC Digital Innovation Hub (DIH), EOSC Future is enabling innovation with industry by leveraging EOSC services and data. Bringing together industry and the scientific community, the EOSC DIH community acts both as a supplier and a user of EOSC to further stimulate cross-fertilisation across sectors, promoting innovation and digitisation of SMEs.
- service providers
- data catalogue managers
- resource providers
- resource users
State of play
- 1st Adoption funding call is exploring how pre-procured commercial cloud services can be consumed through the EOSC marketplace which in its turn will stimulate the uptake of the services
- In addition to the available frameworks, a survey is also being done to identify gaps between procured services (in the current framework) and potential demand for other services that could be included in future procurements
- providing coordination and operational support for the EOSC DIH (i.e. SMEs are being onboarded to the EOSC DIH and pilots are regularly being developed, forming strategic partnerships and improving operational processes).
- establish a use case to demonstrate compatibility between EOSC and other European data spaces
- address future sustainability of the EOSC DIH.
Key benefits/impact for EOSC
Ultimately, commercial services and support for EOSC will:
- improve the quality of research
- reduce the burden for research organisations and other service users to engage in complex procurement processes
- aggregate demand at hyperscale to counter supplier weight
- support cross-analysis of data from heterogeneous sources
- create market opportunities for innovative research data services
- support SMEs and industry to maximise the impact of science research outputs to benefit the wider European society
In turn, this will promote and support commercial exploitation of data, software, workflows and services, with tailored support to SMEs.