The EOSC Observatory is a policy intelligence tool for monitoring policies, investments, resources and infrastructures related to EOSC. It consists of a public interactive dashboard for the collection and presentation of data on the implementation and uptake of EOSC at European and national levels. The tool visualises information such as the number and type of research outcomes in open access, the amount of money spent on Open Science (OS), and the policies in place to implement and support OS.
Aimed primarily at policy makers and research managers, the Observatory is linked to existing OS uptake monitoring platforms and EOSC-related portals and the community implementing EOSC at the national level. Through this strategic alignment and streamlining, the Observatory encourages sharing the state of play of OS in Europe and promotes the implementation, uptake and support of OS policies, enabling the countries and the EOSC Partnership to achieve their objectives.
Target user groups
- Member States
- policy makers
- research managers EOSC-relevant entities, e.g., national nodes for OS, and research infrastructures
State of play
- Back-end functionalities of the EOSC Observatory tool that support collecting data in the form of surveys, interaction with data and visualising the data have been developed.
- 1st survey of SB has been conducted and data will be made public soon including analysis.
- The second survey of EOSC SB is being revised and will be published soon (end of 2022).
- The first survey for experts on EOSC will be drafted and published in early 2023.
- Mocks for country fiche pages, showing a compilation of survey results, narrative, and hard evidence currently being developed.
- Automated retrieval of data from other sources: Open Science Observatory, EOSC Portal, Eurostat to complete the country fiche.
Stay tuned for updates on EOSC Track, the Horizon Europe project launching in December 2023 to continue developing the EOSC Observatory.
Key benefits/impact for EOSC
The EOSC Observatory supports the EOSC community in tracking the overall implementation of EOSC/OS across Europe. The tool also supports the Member States/Associated Countries and the EOSC Partnership in their monitoring of the implementation and uptake of EOSC/OS at the national level.
Further support is provided to policy makers in tracking relevant policies, practices and funding for EOSC/OS.